Recognition of Excellence in Sheet Metal and Tube & Pipe Fabrication
Each year the Fabricators & Manufacturers Association, Intl. (FMA) and the Tube & Pipe Association, Intl. (TPA) present two awards recognizing exceptional performance–The FABRICATOR®’s Industry Award and The Tube & Pipe Journal® Industry Award. The awards are open to companies or individuals in the metal forming and fabricating industry or the tube and pipe fabricating and producing industry that have successfully improved operations, attained business success, and contributed to both the local and industrial communities.
Recent Award Winners
The FABRICATOR’s Industry Award
The winner of The FABRICATOR award will be featured on the cover of the February 2017 issue of the magazine with an extended feature story inside. The winning company also receives an all-expenses paid trip to The FABRICATOR’s Leadership Summit March 8-10, 2017 at The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans for a leader of the company to accept the award and participate in the conference.
The winner of the The Tube & Pipe Journal award will be featured on the cover of the September 2016 issue of the magazine with an extended story inside. The winning company also receives an all-expenses paid trip to TPA’s Pipe & Tube event Sept. 19-20, 2017 in Columbus, Ohio for a leader of the company to accept the award and participate in the conference.
Industry recognition like this is invaluable when it comes to building a business. Everyone wants to do business with a proven winner and year after year winning companies have said that they’ve seen a measurable boost in their business as a result of this award.
How to Apply
Application season runs from May through October each year for The FABRICATOR award and November through April for The Tube & Pipe Journal award (apply now). Award applications will be evaluated on the basis of the eight criteria explained below. Applications should be completed online. Please address each of the criteria, providing specific examples, or quantitative evidence as appropriate. If separate documents (such as letters from customers, OSHA 300A forms, etc.) are available to support your application, please attach them. Proprietary evidence will be kept confidential and used only in the judging process. For more information on the award program or application process, contact Megan Paja 815-227-8203.
Applicants will be evaluated in the following categories:
- Shop Floor Improvements
- Examples include but are not limited to improvements in: quality control standards; implementation of lean activities, techniques, and practices; uptime improvements; inventory reduction; reduction of scrap; minimization of material handling; elimination of non-value-added activity
- OSHA 300A form; introduction of ergonomic guidelines; safety team/committee initiatives; decrease in lost time due to injury
- Cross training, certification, skills training provided to employees; opportunities for leadership development
- Business Success
- Expanding into new geographic markets; diversifying into new market segments; cultivating international business; developing cooperative agreements with other job shops to win contracts; improving profit margins
- Customer Satisfaction
- JIT delivery; cultivating customer relationships; customer satisfaction index; increase in accepted orders
- New Products/Services
- Patents; value-added engineering services
- Support of Manufacturing as Future Career Choice
- Speaking at schools and other events in support of the industry; membership in industry associations; offering of internships or apprenticeships; hosting manufacturing camps for youths; hosting company tours; partnerships with educational institutions
- Philanthropic Activities
- General community activities